Started in 1962, the Association of Children’s Museums (ACM) is the world's foremost professional member service organization for the children’s museum field. With more than 400 members in 48 states and 20 countries, we leverage the collective knowledge of children's museums through convening, sharing, and dissemination.
In October 2016, after a year-long effort gathering feedback from the field at large, the Board approved new mission and vision statements to headline ACM's new Strategic Roadmap:
Our Vision: A world that honors all children and respects the diverse ways in which they learn and develop.
Our Mission: ACM champions children’s museums worldwide.
Why We Do What We Do:
We believe children’s museums are unique community institutions where…
- Children are valued citizens with the right to developmentally-appropriate and high-quality learning experiences.
- Play is learning, and it is critical to the healthy social, emotional, and cognitive development of children.
- Family, culture, environment, and society are recognized as critical factors in all children’s lives to effectively serve them.
- Pursuing equity and inclusion is a best practice that reflects a commitment to serving all children and families and advancing the growth of our field.
Our Core Values:
- Membership and Community: Our primary focus is working with and on behalf of our membership. All activities are in service to the enrichment, expansion, and advancement of this community.
- Leadership and Innovation: We pay close attention to emerging trends and opportunities for advancing and elevating the field through risk-taking, while being accountable to our mission and fiscal responsibilities.
- Collaboration: We implement our work through partnership and dialogue with our members and other stakeholders to ensure equitable and inclusive processes and effective outcomes.
|Download the full Strategic Roadmap!|