Director of Exhibits and Facilities
Mid-Hudson Children’s Museum, in Poughkeepsie, NY, seeks an individual with experience developing interactive exhibits and coordinating facilities to join its senior leadership team and play a critical role in the Museum’s upcoming expansion - which includes the creation of a new science museum.
The Director of Exhibits and Facilities works collaboratively to ensure memorable, meaningful and educationally rich experiences for all museum guests. This position is responsible for planning, fabricating, installing and repairing exhibits; maintaining gallery spaces; and ensuring exhibit safety. This position also coordinates facility maintenance/repair, cleaning services and building security. As a member of the museum’s leadership team, this position works closely with the executive director and others in strategic planning and on other cross-functional initiatives of the museum.
EXHIBITS (70%) -
• PLANNING. Works collaboratively to conceptualize and develop plans for new exhibitions to support the mission and strategy of MHCM. Provides input for the development of grant proposals for exhibits.
• NEW EXHIBIT DEVELOPMENT AND GALLEY ENHANCEMENT. Transforms galleries into vibrant learning environments. Designs, fabricates and installs new exhibits. Oversees take-¬‐down and storage of retiring exhibits.
• EXHIBIT MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR. Ensures functionality and safety of exhibits by performing daily exhibit inspections. Schedules and performs preventative maintenance for exhibits. Repairs broken exhibits and/or removes them from the museum floor for refurbishment.
• SHOP MAINTENANCE. Oversees the museum’s fabrication shop. Coordinates efficient acquisition and storage of tools, materials and supplies needed to support a growing exhibits program.
• BUILDING MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR. Identifies maintenance and/or repair issues pertaining to the buildings and grounds of MHCM. Coordinates the work of building contractors working core facility systems (plumbing, electrical, structural). Oversees the opening and closing of the pavilion for the season. Coordinates regular snow removal, lawn and garden maintenance by outside contractors (as appropriate).
• CLEANING. Serves as point person for our contracted cleaning service. Coordinates with Guest Experience team to oversee daily scheduling and to ensure quality of cleaning services.
• SECURITY. Oversees and ensures functionality of museum’s security features, including interior and exterior lighting, security cameras, and alarm sensors. Works with executive director on security updates, as needed.
• VOLUNTEER PROJECTS. Organizes and provides oversight of volunteers working on building and grounds projects.
Provide assistance to the executive director and/or other museum staff as required.
|Organization||Mid-Hudson Children's Museum|
|Web Address||Mid-Hudson Children's Museum|
|Address||75 N. Poughkeepsie|
|Job Listing||View Complete Job Listing|
|Qualifications||Qualifications: REQUIRED: • Passion for the mission and strategic direction of the Mid-Hudson Children’s Museum • 4-year college degree • 3-5 years developing interactive museum exhibits from start to finish (planning and design, fabrication, installation, evaluation, maintenance, repair), preferably in a science center or children’s museum environment. • Strong fabrication skills: 4+ years in carpentry/finishing and mechanical fabrication required. • Planning and project management experience, including developing project workplans and timelines, budgeting, and working with subcontractors • Supervisory experience: 2-4 years experience supervising professional staff • Effective communicator – timely and appropriate in written and spoken communications • Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize the work of self and others • Strong computer skills: proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Internet, and email applications required; • Flexible, creative, collaborative and willing to learn new things, open to receiving feedback and able to respect of divergent viewpoints • Strong customer service orientation and willingness to provide assistance to others • Able to work independently and as part of a team • Able to work, prioritize and focus amid frequent interruptions • Valid driver's license and clean driving record. STRONGLY PREFERRED • Advanced degree and/or professional experience in STEM and/or Education field(s) • Advanced fabrication skills: knowledge of various materials (such as plastics, metals, fiberglass and adhesives), electrical engineering, welding, plumbing • Background in construction and/or facilities maintenance and repair • Experience using 3D design software (AutoCad, SketchUp, etc) • Graphic design experience and skills • Experience evaluating exhibits and/or educational programs • Volunteer management experience|
|Application Instructions||Visit: mhcm.org/about/employment to review position description and application instructions. Include the following 4 items with your application: • Cover letter • Resume • 1 page bullet list summary that explains how your previous experience supports each of the duties and responsibilities listed in the position description • List of 3-4 references. Please provide the affiliation, day and evening phone numbers, mailing address, and email address for your references. (Do not send letters of reference – we will contact references directly.) Please email your application as an attached Word or pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1, 2017. Incomplete applications will not be considered. We will confirm receipt of your application materials, and will be in contact with you if we would like to speak with you about your candidacy. We anticipate a start date of January 2018.|